Monday, February 14, 2011

Will You Be My Valentine?

When I was a lot younger, I used to dream a lot about Valentine's Day. It was something that I couldn't wait to experience it.

After I started dating, I was disappointed to discover Valentine's Day was not as magical as I thought it to be.

Mostly because my boyfriend and I could never be physically in the same place to celebrate the day.

This year is the 5th Valentine's Day I've seen since starting to date. Still no luck. LOL. Seems the day and I just aren't fated.

I'd like to think I've matured a lot since that first Valentine's Day I spent sulking away.

So here we go:

"Things I've Learned About Valentine's Day"
1. Valentine's Day isn't just about being with your husband/wife/fiancee/fiance/boyfriend/girlfriend. Valentine's Day is about love. Just love. Love for your parents, love for your kids, love for your best friend, love for your dog, any love. So call your mum, hug your dad, kiss your brother (not on the lips, that's just disturbing), tell your housemate (I love you Celine Pika-Chu!)

2. Valentine's Day is overrated. Sure, it's one out of 2 days a year you can demand that your boyfriend treat you like the queen you think you are (the other being your birthday, in case you were wondering), but why wait for this ONE day to express how you feel?

3. Like 梁静茹 sings, "其实爱对了人, 情人节每天都过". "If you're in love with the right person, Valentine's Day is everyday"

4. I'm not a fan of them big grand romantic gestures. To be honest, they make me feel embarrassed more than they touch me. I'd rather have 100 small gestures from the one I love throughout the year than a bouquet of roses and a nice dinner once a year.

5. Just because you don't have a significant other to spend Valentine's Day with doesn't mean you must be unhappy. Just because you have a significant other to spend it with doesn't mean you have to. Just because you have someone to spend it with and you spend it with aforementioned person doesn't mean you'll be happy. For example, I had a great Valentine's Day supper tonight with Celine, Bako and a new friend Melvin, and it's the best February 14th I've spent.

6. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to not expect too much, and just take the day as it goes.





No comments: